Saturday, July 22, 2017

TRYING TO SAY GOD: RE-ENCHANTING THE CATHOLIC LITERARY IMAGINATION



This week's arts and culture column is a bit of a synopsis of the conference I attended in late June.

Here's how the piece begins:

June was a traveling month. I wound up my itinerary with a conference at the University of Notre Dame entitled “Trying to Say ‘God’: Re-Enchanting Catholic Literature.”

The conference was spearheaded by Sick Pilgrim, a Patheos blog around which a lively community has formed. “Sick Pilgrim is a collection of young(ish), restless and Catholic writers who are Orthodox and Weird.” [Addendum: SP was a key player from the start, and they did a magnificent job of recruiting and publicizing, but I was remiss in failing to add that the conception, funding, and primary implementation came from Notre Dame, which effort was coordinated by the indefatigable Ken Garcia].

Isn’t that redundant?

But far be it for me to quibble. Sick Pilgrim co-founder, the wonderful writer Jessica Mesman Griffith, invited me to give the Friday evening keynote address.

That was a huge honor I felt keenly.

As anyone who’s been to Notre Dame knows, the campus is stupendous. Within two minutes, you’re thinking, “Whoa, someone here has some major dough.” There are two lakes, a world-famous grotto, a fall-to-your-knees basilica and lots of shaded walking paths.

READ THE WHOLE PIECE HERE. 



LATE AFTERNOON BIRTHDAY ROSES

No comments:

Post a Comment

I WELCOME your comments!!!